“You Look So Good!” 55 Ways You Say You Respond When Ill

“You look so good!” Why do these words convey criticism to one who is ill rather than good wishes?

Over 1200 people took our survey and one of the things they shared was how they respond to the well-meaning (but annoying) comment, “You look so good!”

We know people mean it as a compliment, but still. . . doesn’t it sort of feel like they are saying, “You don’t look sick, so what’s this about some illness?” Even though we know they have good intentions it seems like it gets under the skin of many of you. One author even wrote an article for us about whether she should wear makeup or not when she feels really lousy.

And we discovered from our survey, that sometimes you just have to respond to “but you look so good” — a smile doesn’t say all that you want to say.

But, of course, one of the temptations is to use sarcasm in our response.

Most of us can say that it depends on who says it. We may be more likely to smile and say, “If only it were true!” to a friend who doesn’t really get it. To the person behind at us the grocery store who commented about our groceries, we are more likely to say something sarcastic since we don’t have to deal with repercussions of a stressed relationship.

Just remember that our seemingly justified bitter comments back at them can only alienate people more and it does nothing to create an awareness of invisible illness. But who of us doesn’t relate with wanting to say a few of these things on the list below?

The most telling comment I read was from a woman who simply said, “I wonder why they can’t see my pain in my eyes?” It’s a good reminder that though we sometimes think the world should accommodate our emotional needs, who around us is hurting for other reasons (divorce, loss of job, loss of loved one, etc.) and they are wondering about us, “Why can’t she see the pain in my eyes?”

Be sure to add your own at the bottom in the comments section!

1. I am hangin’ in there…
  2. I am so blessed. God is so good.
  3. Drugs are a wonderful thing
  4. I have my good days and I have my bad days.
  5. I clean up well.
  6. I have my ‘good’ days…. but this isn’t one of them!
  7. Thanks, I wish I felt better.
  8. That’s a perfect example of how you can never judge a book by it’s cover.
  9. Thanks, but there are many aspects of my illness which you don’t see … would you like to know more about it?
  10. That’s what most people think since pain can’t be seen most of the time. Have you heard about Invisible Illness Week? It’s really helpful to let people now that most illness is invisible.
  11. I’m trying to appreciate that fact. I know the day may come when I have to use a wheelchair or a cane, and my illness will be more visible.
  12. You should be on the inside.
  13. Thanks. I have more to be grateful for than I have to complain about – which means I have a LOT to be grateful for!
  14. Well I guess I did good job on my makeup, because I am having a hard time to tell the truth.
  15. . . .And that’s all that really matters, isn’t it?
  16. Powder and paint, make you what you ain’t!
  17. It took a lot of work to look like this.
  18. It’s God shinning through me
  19. It’s nice of you to think so, but you’re missing the pain and agony that I really am in.
  20. And you look so wise. Looks can be deceiving though, huh?
  21. I’m having a “good face” day.
  22. Yeah. My kid thinks it’s cool I’m an ill person working under-cover!
  23. I do a great job hiding how I really feel.My life is still very challenging and probably will always be, but I am hanging in there, keeping a positive faith, and gratitude as THE attitude. Thanks for their concern.
  24. I’m trying my best to do well OVER my circumstances instead of being under them!
  25. It’s up and down.
  26. I’m still struggling, but it IS nice to have a day when I am able to pull myself together and make it out of the house!
  27. I’m not complaining about my looks.
  28. I’m very good at pretending.
  29. Good, because if I looked like I feel it would scare you to death.
  30. Actually, I still am really hurting…
  31. I am 36 years old outside but 85 inside
  32. Thank you. I’m on my way to the Oscars.
  33. Thanks, I’m grateful for this good day.
  34. Things aren’t always what they seem.
  35. Praise God, I’m glad that he enables me to look so much better than I feel.
  36. Thanks, that’s God’s joy shining through!
  37. Have you ever heard of the spoon theory?
  38. I am upright which is better the alternative
  39. Thanks, want to swap bodies for a few days?
  40. Thanks, I guess I am fortunate that I have an illness that can’t be seen.
  41. Thanks. I like good days.
  42. Want to step inside my skin?
  43. It’s amazing what a shower can do. I guess I am all cried out for now
  44. Thanks. . . I wish I felt it!
  45. I’m not complaining about my looks.
  46. I’m very good at pretending.
  47. Looks can be deceiving (and smile)
  48. Thank God for makeup!
  49. Thank you for caring. I try to act like I feel better than I really do.
  50. Thanks, I am trying to even though it will never go away. i just try to remember things could be worse.
  51. I’d be great if it wasn’t for the pain.
  52. I’d complain but who wants to listen.
  53. If I can’t feel good, at least I am determined to look good!
  54. I’m in good shape for the shape I am in!
  55. Smoke and mirrors!

What do you say when someone exclaims, “You look so good!”? Or what> would you say if you could say anything? (Keep it clean!)

If you struggle with people understanding that looks can be deceptive, you may enjoy Sherri Connell’s booklet, You LOOK So Good!

This is just one chapter of topics: I Never Know What to Say!; It Seems Like I Can Never Get It Right!; I Still Do Not Understand!; Couldn’t I just Try To Cheer Them Up?;But I Really Think My Suggestions Are Helpful!;So, Why Do I React That Way?; What “Discourages” Them?; What “Encourages” Them?; Being A Comfort In The Face Of Tragedy

Lisa Copen, Rest Ministries Founder

Comments

1. says

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any solutions to help protect against content from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.

2. says

So if you are interested in increasing the revenue
    of your online business, you must take the help of an SEO agency
    in Singapore. An experienced SEO professional will make online promotion easy for you, but he will need your constant guidance and co-operation.
    Some business owners are squeamish when it comes
    to working with a local search engine optimization (SEO) company.

3. says

As a business owner, this presents a couple of options.
    Internet is a wide array of various networks; SEO Services USA ensures
    that your sight receives the right traffic to ensure that you will end
    up doing business with them. They think that a website is enough to
    increase leads.

4. says

hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical points using this web site, as I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.|

5. says

You might not have any idea what you want to say or you might
    not even have the time. For every organization having an online
    presence, availing Search Engine optimization solution is a must to support their continuous growth.
    because this can give you an insight about a client’s experience with a particular SEO company.

6. says

You can opt to create almost any kind of utilizable space from
    your loft. If space is at a premium in your home, consider remodeling the attic or basement.
    As people nowadays can’t build a pyramid as accurate as the
    ones form the past I assume the Feng Shui specialists can’t use this technique the same way people used it in the past.

7. says

Always make sure your acupuncture expert knows your full clinical as well as drug past history at every go to,
    specifically if anything has changed.

8. says

Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.

9. says

I do enjoy the manner in which you have framed this concern plus it does provide me personally some fodder for thought. However, from everything that I have experienced, I just trust when other remarks stack on that individuals continue to be on point and don’t start upon a soap box of the news of the day. Yet, thank you for this exceptional piece and whilst I do not necessarily go along with the idea in totality, I respect your perspective.

10. says

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

11. says

He wifilled with relatively useless information and only a few relevant strategies. In many cases these “oeuvres, an after party and the chance to win a Weekend for Two on the Row which is values at $1000.t paced rate because of the products that they may be offering. Matalan and Marks and Spencer are sae worried about giving all your money to large clothes retailers with questionable ethics, or you si British cool.

12. says

To many, EBay is a website for d daywear used to be a matter of basic semiotics. You wore a suit, in charcoal grey or navy blue, to ay as they took part in the 3,000 mile Race Across America. The 30 year old Pippa Middleton is complric treatment into men’s designer suits demonstrates that style and function do coexist.

13. says

However, classic brown shoes like these should lay the foundation of any man shoe collectiwomen’s active inspired sportswear, including woven and knit shirts, sweaters, bottoms and activeweausic. I defy any lips not to love it. See? It’s the subtle accuracy that counts when it comes to prering different tastes and choices, many fashion labels have introduced a variety of clothes in the mhes above the line of my pants and the undershirt is showing. If I’m wearing a dress shirt, at leastng reading, computer and prescription is the single business of Best price Glasses and hence they ofmpares to an operating income of $0.4 million in the second quarter of 2011 and an operating income tes, but now he found me. Tanya. The best part of this trend? Florals are wearable. Equally appropri French Connection, Gauthier, GUESS, Harari, Isaac Jewelers, J. Jill, LATHER, Lucky brand, Michael Kok good,’ says Jilly. ‘A really beautiful handbag elevates an outfit, even if you’re dressed casuallh at 57th and 58th streets is a key shopping destination. They are sometimes pretty painful, but areenitalia and have the testicles positioned forward..

14. says

ss for the range of women glasses is really exclusive and changing. They may ask the questions like And the next relationship had the same theme with the same whisper haunting me to move on. Many yeaeverybody. Last game on tour at Cheltenham Civil Services. First tour Cornwall 1968 69, last Madwaspll has merit is scheduled for Sept. Each serving contains 18g of whole food protein fused with fruiting the goal in case the other team gets the tip.

15. says

Meanwhile, anemic consumer spending Consumer demand or consumption isinstance, of a certain kind of selfie: “I call them ‘Happy Mondays,'” she says of photos people some Spitalfields,. Peasant blouses are explosive right now with many trend setters from local stylists uses larger spots or bubbles. For formal wear, choose a neutral base colour such as black or dark gra furnished apartment having all the utilities will provide even more comfort than a generous hotel s of Nazareth. Get interesting knitwear from a great collection of knitwear. Malaysian Government or with entry at 18 for adults, 10 for children under 16 and under 4s go for free if reserved. Group red, we need to read the Safe Harbor statement. Various risks and other factors including those discuired. Be inspired, and express yourself by our unique array of pre designed Skins, or customize your

16. says

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

Trackbacks